Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How Audiobooks Will Help Me Dust More Often & Other Reading Habits For The New Year

I mentioned in this post that I kept track of the books I read last year and noticed that almost all the books were YA novels. One thing I plan to do now is catch up on some mid-grade novels I've missed; I'd like to get at least a couple good ones read before the ALA Awards, because I'll have no idea who to cheer for when the Newbery is announced. Yes, I'm that much of a book nerd--I'll wake up early to watch the live webcast online.  


And my list had just three audiobooks. I've never listened to audiobooks much because I had trouble paying attention to them. Once in a while I try to listen to one while driving, but before long I have no idea what's going on in the story. Or I'm really into the story and thinking, "What a great book! Where the hell am I?" 


But I discovered something interesting last year--when I was painting my house or laying a new kitchen floor, I was able to pay attention really well to what I was listening to. Really well. I can remember the exact wall I was painting in the bedroom when E! True Hollywood Story about Beyonce was on. If I knew back in college that I had this kinesthetic-memory connection, I'd have painted the walls of the dorm every day while listening to professors' lectures on tape.


We'll see if it works for housecleaning just as well. When I'm reading a good book I tend to ignore everything else that needs to be done. I look up after closing a book and wonder who ransacked the house and who these starving people in front of me are. So this year I want to try listening to audiobooks while I clean house--I'll get to read more books and my house will look better. 


I'll also be participating in the Debut Author Challenge hosted by The Story Siren. If you join the challenge, you take on the goal of reading at least twelve midgrade or young adult novels from this year's debut authors. I've been looking forward to so many books on the list, so I know I'll be reading a lot more than twelve of them. Anyone can participate, so check it out if you'd like to discover some new favorite authors and win some fun bookish prizes.


So those are my reading plans for the year: catch up on the midgrade books, listen to more audiobooks, and read a bunch of the 2011 debut author novels.  What about everyone else--any changes to your reading routine this year?

3 comments:

  1. I'm committing to reading YAs that include mental health issues of varying sorts so that I can review or discuss them on my blog. There are so many good ones! My goal--at least 40 in 2011. Gulp. My wallet is screaming, but it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a lot of books! I'll have to check out your blog to see some of those reviews. The book I'm getting ready to submit to my agent is a YA about an agoraphobic-ish girl who has to go on a road trip. So your reading list would be a good one for me too; can't believe I didn't think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for joining the challenge! happy reading and good luck!

    ReplyDelete